For a full overview of Part Counting Tool and how to create a new Part Count Session, review our article - Part Counting Tool - Overview
The Dealership has already created a new Part Count Session for a Random Count
How to Process a Random Count
Let us review the screen:
B. Details on the Count Session ie Number / Status / Date
C. You can print or export the count session list
D. Counted Parts tab - will list the parts that have been counted
E. Uncounted Parts tab - not applicable when doing a Random Count
F. Issues to Resolve tab - not applicable when doing a Random Count.
G. Adjustments tab - it will list any adjustments that will be needed
H. Start Type - where the user will scan in the part being counted or manually type it in
I. Import File - user will be able to import a count file ie excel csv file etc. For information on barcode scanning apps, review our article - Using a Barcode Scanning App to Help with Counting Your Part Inventory
J. A list of the counted parts
K. Total Adjustment - an estimate of the current adjustment. ***When finalising the count session this amount could
change as the system will then provide an actual cost adjustment figure based off the FIFO (First In / First Out)
principle for cost.
L. User will be able to SAVE and close or Finalize count
Getting started - there are three options on how to get the count quantities into Part Count Session:
- The user would manually search for and add the parts that they are counting.
- User would ensure that they are on the Counted Parts tab and then start scanning or manually type/search for each part
- Once the part is selected - the Record Part Count window will pop up for user to key in change to the location (if any) and then the user will add the Counted quantity then click on
- Blackpurl will add the part and the adjustment (if any) to the list of counted items
- The user would then complete the same action for each and every part they are counting for this Random Count session
- All items have been counted and are listing on an import file/s ready for import into Blackpurl
For information on barcode scanning apps, review our article -Using a Barcode Scanning App to Help with Counting Your Part Inventory
- User would ensure that they are on the Counted Parts tab and then click on
- The user will be given a quick screen shot on How to map the fields and then click on
- First action is to upload your count file into Blackpurl into section A.
- Once the file is uploaded you are then required to map the fields ie which column from your count file upload is Part Number / Count quantity / Location (optional) into section B.
- This is a quick snap shot of our example count file - note the two columns: Part Number / Counted Quantity
- When the count file is uploaded into Blackpurl, the system can see that there are field labels (column headers)
- It is these field labels that must be mapped to the Blackpurl field labels
- Once you have mapped the field labels, click on
- Blackpurl will ask you to confirm the upload by clicking on
- During importing When uploading Blackpurl will match what you have provided to the parts in Blackpurl
The logic is that the tool will then match the Part Number giving in the import file to Part or SKU numbers in Blackpurl
- Once the file has been uploaded you will get the opportunity of loading another import file or just say you are done.
- Use a combination of Option 1. A and 1. B. Upload files and also do manual entries
- All the parts are now listed in the Counted Parts section
Reviewing the Count
- We would now recommend that you review and action as required each of the tabs.
- Counted Parts - will list parts you have imported or manually added as the count
- Uncounted Parts - will list parts that the system indicates have a stock on hand in Blackpurl BUT are not on the list of counted parts
- Issues to resolve - if there are any issues with the part count / part number / duplication etc
- Adjustments - this is a list of the current adjustments that the system is looking to make
Save and/or Finalizing the Count
Once the user is finished this session, they have the option of Save and Close or Finalize Count
- Save and Close - will allow you to come back to this Count Session at a later time
The Count Session will now list in under the Open Counts tab and you can access it again by clicking on the relevant line item.
- Finalize Count - will start the finalizing the count and calculating the adjustments amount and requirements.
- Review the Adjustment tab as it will list the adjustments
- Review and resolve any issue listing under the Issues to resolve tab
- Review the uncounted parts list.
- There will be always a running total of an estimate of the running Adjustment total, please review. When Finalize Count this amount could change as the system will then provide an actual cost adjustment figure based off the FIFO (First In / First Out) principle for cost.
Once you are ready and click on Finalize Count, Blackpurl will ask you to review the information on the Finalize count session window
- The relevant Part Records will be adjusted accordingly
- If you have Accounting Integration and have Finalize now, it would be at this point that the relevant parts are adjusted and the adjustment journal entry will integrates to the accounting package.