HOW TO CREATE A VENDOR RETURN FOR PARTS
- From the Blackpurl Header > Click >
- The Select a Vendor window will allow the search of the relevant Vendor:
As you type your search keyword, the system will start listing the search results that match.
In our example we are looking for the Vendor Smith and Co, we type in smith as the keyword > click on your Vendor name to select
- There is now two options to add parts to this Vendor Return:
- Returning Parts to the same Vendor as listed on the Parts Record. If so, click >
- Returning Parts to a different Vendor then what is listed on the Parts Record. If so, click >
Both options will take you to the Search to Add field for you to start searching for the parts to add to this Vendor Return.
- In our example we are returning Part#1234ABC Brake Pad x 2 to the Vendor as per the Part Records so we click on and in the Search to Add field, search for the relevant part > click to select.
Type in the RETURN QTY and change the ITEM COST (if applicable).
- Currently the status of the Vendor Return is In Progress.
- If you have submitted your Vendor Return request to the Vendor > Click on .
In the Submitted status, line items can no longer be added to this Vendor Return.
However users are still able to modify quantities / cost or remove any line item altogether.
- Once the Vendor has approved the Vendor Return and provided you with a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number, enter the number in the RMA# field in the Info section of the Vendor Return and then click on .
Approved status means that line items can no longer be removed and only the line items cost can be altered.
When set to this status, the In-Stock has now reduced by the quantity sent back using the RMA# as the reference number on the Cost Tracking Activities on the part record.
Dealerships with Accounting Integration:
- It is also at this point the accounting integration journals will be generated to the accounting software.
- Debit - Inventory Accrual account (dealership is still waiting for a credit memo from the Vendor so until the Vendor Credit Note is received, the entry will sit in this clearing account).
- Credit - relevant Inventory account (dealership is returning goods so reducing your inventory value).
To process to the next step a Credit Memo will be required.
- Once you receive the Vendor's Credit Memo, enter the relevant number in the Credit Memo# field in the info section of the Vendor Return.
This means that the line items can no longer be modified or removed and that the dealership has received and processed the Credit Memo from the Vendor with the final cost values now confirmed.
Dealerships with Accounting Integration:
- Once the status is Credited, the relevant entries will be processed into the accounting software ie Vendor Accounts Payable document (Credit Note).
- Debit - Accounts Payable for the Vendor's Credit Note.
- Credit - Inventory Accrual account (This account should go back to zero as it is a clearing account only).
HOW TO REPORT ON VENDOR RETURNS
It may become necessary to run a report to show a list of Vendor Returns.
By running this report on a regular basis you can ensure that your Dealership is process / finalising and received all relevant documentation ie Vendor Credit Notes in a timely manner.
- From the Blackpurl Header > Reporting > Reports - Common Search > All Vendor Orders
- As we only want a report on Vendor Returns, we need to change the parameters to suit.
Tip: We would recommend that you run the report for specific status/es by changing the Status filter to suit.
- In Progress status - Dealership is still processing the Vendor Return.
Vendor Returns should be processed in a timely manner.
If a Vendor Return has been In Progress for a while - you will need to chase up the relevant user to find out why the Vendor Return has not progressed.
- Submitted status - Dealership has submitted the Vendor Return details to the Vendor but the Dealership is still waiting on the approval from the Vendor to return the parts.
If the Vendor Return has been in Submitted status for a while, the user should be chasing up the Vendor to get approval to send back the parts.
- Approved status - Dealership has received the Approval to return the parts to the Vendor but the Dealership is still waiting on the Vendor Credit Memo/Note
If the Vendor Return has been in Approved status for a while, the user should be chasing up the Vendor to send the Vendor Credit Memo/Note.
- Credited - Dealership has finalised the Vendor Return process as the Vendor Credit Memo/Notes has been processed.
- Once you have changed the parameters to suit click on to generate the report.
For further information on Reports, review our article - Reporting - Where are the Reports?